Saturday 12 January 2008

Doug E. Fresh The Show La Di Da Di (Chrysalis) 1985



I remember the day I bought this record from the shop..I didn't realise at the time how influential this record was going to be.

First of all we have 'The Show' in which we have Doug E Fresh's amazing beatboxing skills coupled with beats that still kick ass to this day. Add in the Inspector Gadget noise and some scratching of a lady shouting 'oh my god' and we have a classic rap tune on our hands! What needs to be remembered also is that in these days there wasn't thousands of rap tunes in the charts. let alone ones with cool scratching and beat boxing! What I really loved about the 12" mic of this is that there is a massive instrumental part where loads of cool scratching took place. (this was 1985..) Also loved Slick Rick's part in this as well, his vocal tone and raps were slick indeed.

Arguably the B side is the main event.. This is the classic 'La Di Da Di' Any self respecting B-Boy knew ALL the lyrics to this. Doug E Fresh seems to carry out the backing track to this entirely with his stupidly good beat boxing. Saves messing around with samplers and drum machines I suppose.. This tune has been sampled so many times that's it is quite unbelievable. Off the top of my head-

Mary J Blige No One Else
Notorious Big Hypnotise
Monica Before You Walk Out Of My Life (Pete Rock Remix)
Color Me Badd I Wanna Sex You Up

I'll add more to this as and when I remember..Absolute classic moment in hip hop.

Doug E. Fresh The Show


Doug E Fresh & Slick Rick La Di Da Di

No comments: